Do you think Facebook is an incredible invention in the 21st century?
Do you know more about me? Can you guess what my major is ?
Facebook, agree or not, is like drugs or alcohol that you will soon be addicted to it - think about what you'd do every time when you are doing the reading. You'll uncontrollably scroll the Facebook homepage to refresh and to know what is happening among your friends. It seems meaningless, but it really works to refresh your brain and give you energy.
Why is Facebook that tempting? Linking you is one of the reasons. I mean, for example, we always love to ‘add’ our primary school classmates as ‘friends’ because we want to know what's happened to them, like whether they have changed their status to ‘in a relationship’ or ‘married’, though we have never ever talked or even ‘chatted' on Facebook. But I think it’s really a fantastic way to keep ‘contact’ with those ‘friends’ or you can say 'acquaintances' (In fact, FB added this category few months ago.) Like, I have a primary school friend, who was just married to her Taiwanese fiancé in Hawaii, and two of my primary school classmates became couple!! You can see how amazing Facebook is!!!
Facebook does change you. It changes not only the way you talk to you friends, like Facebook messages, and writing on your friends’ walls, but also your mind - say, when there is current news that influences us a lot, a lot of ‘friends’ would post it on their walls and the posts turn out to be on ‘News Feed’. When you roll down the scroll bar, you'll definitely wonder why so many friends of yours post the same news. You don’t know what force drives you, but hey, you'd ultimately read it. I always think that is the most powerful magic that Facebook contains; that’s why a lot of politicians love to use Facebook to contact their supporters. I'm one of them - I have also subscribed Claudia Mo’s Facebook to keep myself updated to her most recent posts, because I think her political views are so similar to mine, and this definitely will change my perception of local, Hongkongers issues, like the recent national education dispute. Facebook, therefore, I think is a marvelous tool for all the ordinary people, like you and me, to changes others' minds.
Facebook shapes you. Your cover and profile pictures, your chosen uploaded photos, the information that can be 'seen' by everybody and the privacy setting can definitely reflect you. Not just the information you wrote on the 'information' page literally, but the way do you perceive privacy issue and how many 'friends' you have also tell something about your personality, that you might be unconscious of. And that's exactly what I want to show the power of Facebook and why people are always addicted to it.
Facebook is really a brilliant invention in the 21st century for all people to share their own thoughts to everybody without geographic and time constraints, like you work as a journalist. If you don't buy my idea, think about the pictures shared asking for donation and help, or even just an emotional picture of a white guy trying to feed a physically disabled yellow stranger. For most of the time, it helped the dying people to find their loved and lost ones; it helped the fragile one to get money donation or organs; and it triggered our indifferent attitudes towards the needy. Are these the things that we could do in the past?
Facebook, of course, is one of the media we get used to, but there are a lot of new media facilitating communication we have not been familiar with, like digital game and digital video. I felt so excited and curious when I first knew that I could learn how to communicate with others using such innovative way. I think I can learn how to write in such specific genre creatively, so that I can appeal to many players and audience (at least they won’t feel confused or frustrated with what I wrote :P). Writing in a more creative and emotional way to the new media, therefore, is what I indeed want to learn in this course.
To know more about my interest:
| Community of Equality |
Yes! Bingo!!! I'm a social science student!!! :)))
Facebook is a culture itself. 99% of people are in it, it regulates our thoughts, behavior, interaction and our lives. I am social science student too. Nice analysis.
ReplyDelete