If somebody asks me, ‘Do you have a
blog?’, I can answer confidently, ‘Yes!’. I don’t know why I’m so proud of having
my own blog, maybe because I have my own space to share my thoughts to the
whole world, and I feel so pleased when I received some comments from my
classmates. I think this is why people love to continue writing their blogs. I’m
glad that I have chosen this as my university language fulfilling course
because I can have a taste of creating my own blogs, making the remix, videos
and games. I think I would never learn this skill after my graduation (I’m
already a final year student.) Learning how to write for the new media makes me
feel that I seemed to know nothing before. But now, I’m confident to tell
others I know something about blogging.
Evaluation of my best blog
In the following, I will use one bad
example, “A Thoughtful Thought of Recent Talk”, and one best one, “Online Game, a Space?!”, to illustrate how I make
my progress during the past six weeks.
In the “A
Thoughtful Thought of Recent Talk”, as at that time, I was not so familiar with how to
write a blog. I
just wrote my reflections on the lecture, and came up with my views on the
three areas, ‘multimodality’, ‘different types of layouts for certain kinds of web pages’, and ‘be critical for
hyperlinks’. But after another lecture,
I found that there were too
many aspects, pictures,
hypertexts, and words in one single post,
which lost the focus.
I want to make an improvement! I want
to avoid the above mistakes! And here is my best post: “Online Game, a Space?!”
Why I choose this as my sample post because I think this topic is interesting
to grab people’s attention. I've also applied the knowledge learnt during
class, like participatory culture, online affinity space, externalities, social
languages and online identity. I also avoid making the same mistakes, like last
time. I think this is my best post after all.
For my first evaluation, I think ‘online
game’ might somehow encourage people to continue reading my post as it’s not a
too heavy topic and it’s quite interesting I guess, which can grab people’s
attention, and I deliberately used some questions at the beginning to trigger
people’s response. This time, I only focus on one particular topic, which is
more focused and detailed. For my second point, I have applied the learnt
knowledge in this blog. The most obvious one are participatory culture and
online affinity spaces, because I want to share these two concepts to the
online- game addicted. As what I think is you can know more about why you have
such behavior, and not just only play the game. I tried to write in an informal
way, so that my readers might not stop reading it because of the serious tone.
Another thing I've learnt is
externalities, like the hypertexts and images. I didn't overuse them this time
because I have learnt a lesson before. As a reader, too many external resources wouldn't help boost the quality of the blog, but really discourage him/her to
click on them. Also, I have attributed the images to the origin, so that I will
not infringe the copyright (I seemed to violate the law in my first entry.)
Being too lengthy isn't good, as people are not expected to read thousands of
words in a blog and this time I think it’s appropriate.
More than that, I have used some social
languages, for example ‘haha~’ and all the short forms to lessen the
seriousness of the tone. For the online identity, I think I have demonstrated
as a student to share something I've learnt to the readers, but not like a
lecture. It also shows that I’m a social science student as my blog’s format is
probably like a research paper, like my research question: to examine why
online game players are always being addicted, by illustrating the concepts and
applying some examples.
My feeling towards blogging
I think
it’s quite difficult to write a good blog because it’s hard to
criticize the new
media in a
unique and interesting angle Therefore, we dare have to compete with others; otherwise no one
would like to read your post as it’s so ordinary among all ordinary posts. More
than that, how to write in a way to prompt readers to respond is a big question. I think your own popularity deserves much and I think the number of
comments and views are somehow an indicator to reflect whether
you have written a good blog or not.
My initial impression towards blogs is something like Xanga (I used it during my secondary school life to just record
what I’d
done during the day), which I think exactly is a ‘Hi Diary’ book, but in an electronic version.
However, after six lectures of introducing what blogging is, I changed my mind of the concept of blogging, as blogs, including Xanga, are definitely much more than just a physical diary.
They can be like feature articles or
advertisements, as we can promote some products underneath, for example some tips of make-up (somehow these kind of sharing might be fake though). Besides, we can
also express our thoughts on current news. But what is the
difference between writing in the letter to
the editor and blogs? Probably the
tone should be softer in blogs because it should be so relaxing when reading blogs; people are not supposed to read a heavy piece.
What’s more? Giving feedback and receiving comments from others are very pleasurable because you know at least
somebody is reading your blog and you don’t know where the
power crops up to urge you continue
writing your blogs. Being interactive is, therefore, the soul of blogging. The followings are some links that I have commented on my classmates’
blogs:
Chan Chi Hin's blogs: my digital live 3, my digital life 4 and this is my blog
Connie Wong: digital life, commercials-attracting audience and Collaborative projects
Marques Fields: My digital life, skype and Even Apple's not Perfect
By the way, I love writing blogs as I can share what I love to my readers, and I feel more satisfied when I received people’s comments. Thanks for exploiting this space for all the people in the 21st century to enjoy such ‘freedom of speech’, no matter who you are, which ethnic groups you belong to and which part of the world you are in. Blogging! Hurray!

Perhaps that's our perception built upon our secondary school experience that blogs were always personal and were used for sharing personal news. The fact is, some people even generate income through writing blog posts. So, blogging can be personal, topical and professional.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoy blogging. Perhaps I'll see more posts here in the future?
Yes, I enjoy the "Freedom of speech". No matter who you are, your social status, your educational level or your political position, you can say whatever you want. It can be contradict to your real identity. However, because of this, many people would say things without consideration since the identity in here can be discovered or even faked. So it is important for us to take responsibility of our own words.
ReplyDeleteYes, you are right!!!! Our own responsibility counts a lot if we want to enjoy the freedom of speech in this virtual world. I enjoy reading your blog too, especially the pictures you chose always tell more than words!!! :))
Delete