Have you ever played any online games? Did
you think you would be addicted before playing the game?
Before I started playing Restaurant City (a
Facebook online game letting us run a virtual restaurant and to serve as many
customers as possible), I thought playing online game was totally a waste of time, and I
wondered why both of my nephews could stay in front of the screen for a whole
day. Until I played Restaurant City, I knew the answer - now, I know the
reasons why online games have such a mysterious power making everyone addicted
like drugs and alcohol.
It’s a kind of informal mentorship that the
experienced pass their knowledge to the less-experienced through
non-face-to-face communication. It is just like a chatting channel like MSN for
the players when playing the game or the knowledge is passed indirectly through
making your creation in the game to serve as an example for other participants.
You may ask - why are there lots of fans
playing the same game then? I dare say,
it is because of the magic of participatory culture, as you care about your own
contribution and others' perception. In other words, you want to be the veteran
in the game, showing other people your brilliant creation and teaching the
inexperienced. Therefore, in order to achieve the goal, you'll unconsciously devote all your efforts to playing the game. Sooner or later, you become one of
the 'gameholics'.
Online games are also a kind of space,
known as 'online affinity spaces'. Why is it a space, not village or city? This is because people can always come and
leave anytime they want; there is no boundary among game participants, as
Christoph said. This really inspires me as it tells the attitude of the
players, including myself. People will gather in a particular virtual space in
which everyone is sharing the same interest. You just don't want to leave as
you see tens of thousands of similar people like you.
To further explain why, I'm going to use my
Restaurant City as an example. I played it because all of my friends (not necessarily all, but really a lot) played it and, when I saw they were in a
very high level, I wanted to compete with them in order to become the 'mentor'.
I don't want to be a novice while most of my friends are the experienced.
This's of course the main driving force to keep me playing all the time. What
is more, in order to become more experienced in the game, you have to cooperate
with other players. I loved to seek help from others by sending my friends text
messages via the
chat box in the game or imitating others on how to
allocate the tables in order to serve the maximum number of customers After a
week, I was able to steal somebody's coins as they forgot to put something
behind their doors. (haha~I learnt this because I had been a victim) By the
way, I have played it for three months and why I left was because most of my
friends left, I was no longer interested in playing it afterwards.
From isheat.com
From Rockfu.net
I remembered I've played 'It Girls' also, a
Facebook online game that allows 'you' to dress in different clothes and battle
with other girls. But this experience
was very different from playing Restaurant City. I just played for a few days
because my friends no longer played it. I couldn't seek help from them and I
really didn't know how to play. I gave up finally.
What I think is that it's so essential to
have the social connection in the virtual life (in the real life as well in
fact), not only seeking help from others, you'll also build your passion in a
particular space, and gradually you'll be addicted to it until you found it
boring or until most of your friends stop playing it.
Participatory culture and online affinity
spaces can thoroughly describe and explain why we'll become addicted. It's not
only for the purpose of being entertained, but more than that, our social
networking.




Same for me, I think online games are very addictive. Once I start playing them, I can literally stay in front of the computer half of a day. I guess that's why nowadays, more and more PC games (CD Rom games) are exploiting the Internet; by asking the players to go online before starting the games, the games are more interactive, and thus they offer different players unique gaming experiences.
ReplyDeleteLike Sims 3, you can buy clothes for your sim at the online shop, download other players' designs as well as connect with other online players while playing the game.
Wow really?! I don't even notice that because I haven't played any PC games since high school. Going interactive seems to be an inevitable trend for all the PC games, not only to absorb more addicts, but for survival. Personally, I think if a PC game doesn't go online, it is quite difficult to sustain in this virtual world. Unlike in the past, interacting with other players are impossible, we just stuck with the game itself.
ReplyDeleteMaybe PC games have evolved without any notices!!!!
Haha... U should play more games. I recommend u to play Simcity.
ReplyDeleteMany girls like this game.
In the game, u are one person in a city. U need to work, buy houses, form a family etc in the game.
It can be a reflection of ur life. It is a good game
Thanks for your recommendation, Stanley!! Wow~ This game sounds so real to me because we really are 'in' the city and we 'live' there!!!! I think I will try it someday!!!
DeleteBy the way, then do you think if we are too involved in those games, our real life will be to some extent ruined?